With Halloween fast approaching many of us are starting to think about all that candy! And yes, those dentists among us will again be considering all of the potential dental harm that could result from all that candy. But not to worry! If you have been doing your homework throughout the year – brushing twice a day and flossing all of your teeth once a day – you should not have to worry about the occasional splurge. Nevertheless, to minimize the possible harm from all those sweets, here are a few tips on how to eat candy:
Chocolate, especially dark chocolate is probably your best option. Dark chocolate has less sugar than milk chocolate, thereby offering fewer carbohydrates to the bacteria that reduce sugar to harmful cavity producing acids. Chocolate also washes off your teeth easier than stickier types of candy.
Sticky and Gummy Candies
These are the worst types of candy to eat. They are harder to remove and stay on the teeth longer, giving the bacteria more time to produce harmful acids.
Hard candies are also problematic. They can contribute to tooth fractures if bitten into and also permit sugars to be in contact with the teeth for a longer period of time.
Sour candies are themselves acidic and if sweetened with sugar produce a double whammy of acids.
Popcorn Balls are sticky, sugary and can be hard. They can get stuck between your teeth as well. A more acceptable snack would be popcorn by itself!
I could go on, but you get the idea! Minimize your exposure to sweets, play it smart and above all, have a great Halloween!