If you have ever experienced pregnancy related dental issues, you know that it’s not something that just goes away easily. The best thing for your teeth is prevention as well as getting help when you are pregnant. Here at Beechview- Dublin we know prenatal care is important and getting regular dental visits will help detect any problems before they become serious. Here is what our dentists recommend you do to make sure your teeth stay healthy during your pregnancy.
- Brush teeth thoroughly twice daily using a fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss your teeth every day.
- Rinse with water or alcohol-free mouthwash after morning sickness.
- Introduce a soft-bristled brush for sensitive teeth.
- Schedule a dental check-up and professional clean before getting pregnant.
- Maintain a balanced and varied diet.
- Avoid snacking on food or drinks with a high sugar content and take note of food or drinks that trigger sensitivity.
- Always tell your dentist you’re pregnant.
During pregnancy, it is important to look after your teeth, because the hormonal changes that occur in your body can actually affect your oral health.
1. Take care of your gums! Gums can often become swollen or tender, and may bleed during brushing, so be sure to brush gently but thoroughly.
2. Try not to overindulge on sugary foods! There are no direct changes to the teeth during pregnancy but damage can occur to the teeth due to altered and irregular eating habits or because of excessive vomiting. It is therefore important to avoid high-sugar foods, especially between meals.
3. Snack on cheese and nuts! Pregnant women often need to eat more frequently, so it is very important to try and stick to tooth friendly snacks such as cheese and nuts.
4. Drink milk and water instead of juices and fizzy drinks! Try to stick to milk and water, as the acid and sugars in juices and fizzy drinks are very damaging to the tooth enamel.
Why not get in touch using our handy form->
So helpful! I just booked in for my checkup.